Sunday, February 21, 2010

Space Within A Space

The initial idea behind the thirty studies we have been working on in studio has evolved as I progressed through the series. As I started the series I originally intended to deal with human emotion and the spacial relation to the figures and how surroundings can evoke different emotion and connotation. I was initially searching for vulnerability, but as I have moved forward the idea of personality as a defense mechanism drove my ideas. Who are these people, what is the importance of their settings? how are their physical expressions and placement perceived? all the photos I work from are my own. The subjects are friends or myself. I know these people and I know when their guards are up. It is quite lovely to be able to capture those vulnerable or fraudulent moments in expression. I love experiencing the moments in which the people I am close to are lost in thought, sad, depressed, stressed, anxious, secretive, inquisitive, angry, tough, weak.... the list continues. I also found that my organic nature in producing these layered abstract backgrounds really lends a whole other dimension to my idea. their emotions are suspended in an intangible world of thought and writing, shapes, math, vectors. there is so much happening around them and yet they are still. I like to think the floating words and shapes are the very items that depict the subject's thought, their aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment